Thursday 30 June 2016

Day 3

I don't necessarily like to count non-drinking days as I find it to be a bit of pressure.  Plus, my ultimate goal is to cut back, not to never drink again. 

However, I work with computers, life tends to be very black and white.  What you cannot count you cannot measure and what you cannot measure you cannot improve.

Over the recent weeks I've figured out that my worst days of the week for drinking are Sunday and Monday.  Sunday because I loathe my work and Monday because I've just lived through another work day. 

As well, I've figured out that I am a boredom drinker.  I am ok when I have things planned and am on the go.  Tuesday evening I had a work call at 8 PM (I work with folks in a US timezone), and I never mix alcohol into a conference call setting, I have a hard enough time keeping sarcasm in check when sober.

Wednesday was date night.  OH suffered through another low carb vegan dinner and then we did our shopping that we usually do at the weekend as we're packed up with plans on Saturday and Sunday.  By the time we returned at 8.30 it was too late to be bothered to drink.

Today (Thursday) I had a electrician stopping by at 7 PM, so that also broke the cycle for me.

I've figured out if I can get past 7 PM, then I'm free for the evening.  I've never been one to eat late and drinking seems to fall under the same pattern.  While I'll have some water all evening after 7, my stomach doesn't really want to process anything else.  So the trick is to block out enough to bridge the gap from 5 until 7 PM.

I plan to keep this roll up through Friday night and then Saturday we're off to a festival so am ok to break this streak for that one. The festival is an alternative, artsy thing, so am expected to be distracted by activities, but not going to stress if there's something interesting to try, just deciding already not to be preloading on wine prior to heading over there, as would have been my past behaviour.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment