Sunday 13 November 2016

Non-alcoholic wine review

After a bit of googling, I was excited to try Tesco's non-alcoholic South African Chenin fizz due to the great reviews like this:

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/09/tesco-is-selling-alcohol-free-fizz-they-say-is-the-closest-ever-to-the-real-thing-5634766/

Technically it is a 0.5% level so I waited until after my 30 days off to try it, purist that I am.  I went with the white one but they also had a pink one.

My thoughts on this as an alcohol-free substitute:

  • I like fizzy things and will easily drink a litre of fizzy water on a Sunday dinner while others are drinking wine.  My personal favourite is Tesco's Ashbeck as I love a lot of fizz in my water.  When I opened this bottle it has a high amount of fizz.
  • At £2.75 a bottle it's easy on the wallet.
  • It's nice to have something different than water and a festive cork to pop.  It comes with a nifty resealable plastic cork. 
  • I've never been a fan of South Africa white wine, it's a little too sweet for me.  This bottle was extremely sweet, I couldn't get beyond a glass of it.  If you are a fan of sweet wines, dessert wines, I think this would be worth a try.
If you are in general cutting back on alcohol, calories and cost, this one may be a nice substitute. I have friends who are absolute non-drinkers so even a less than 1% wine would not be acceptable to them.  However, for those looking to reduce alcohol consumption, this may be one to try, especially for sweet wine drinkers.

For now I'll stick with my non-alcoholic fizzy grape drinks.  Asda has discontinued my favourite but Co-op does an ok one, as long as I water it down a little more with fizzy water or ice.

Edit: I served it to my other half without commentary, but mentioned that it was a non-alcoholic wine.  He has quite a sweet tooth and could eat chocolate all day.  He had two glasses of it with dinner and thought it was quite nice as a non-alcoholic substitute to the usual offering of cola that most of our non-alcoholic friends endure.  As we always have a few friends who are minimizing alcohol due to driving later in the evening or to limit sugar/calories, he would buy this one again to have on offer at gatherings.


2 comments:

  1. Over here at Safeway grocery stores they have been selling Italian Sodas. They're pretty sweet but pretty fizzy and I love the pomegranate one over lots of ice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh pomegranate soda sounds lovely, will need to look for that in the UK.

    ReplyDelete