Thursday 14 July 2016

Day 5 postnasal drip gone

It ended up being 1.5 hours of gym classes last night.  So much for my light day.  I had only planned to do an hour of cardio but there was space in the weight class right after that so ended up staying on.

An interesting benefit that already appeared at day 3 but is definitely here still on day 5.  I've been having an awful postnasal drip since December 2014.  I know it goes back that far as I had a yucky flu on the way back to the States for Christmas (I live in the UK).  So it appeared around the stopover in Iceland and lingered through my days off there.

Back to the UK in January it continued to persist.  It was highly publicized this 'mega bug,' doctors were urging otherwise healthy adults to not bother to come into the office as it was a non-treatable condition and to let it runs its course of 8 weeks.

Around March I began to become concerned.  A persistent cough is a sign of lung cancer, no?  A friend's mom who was very healthy had a similar situation, she ended up dying three weeks after diagnosis.  No other physical signs beyond the cough.

So I went to the nurse practitioner who told me that I was too young for lung cancer and to have more vitamins and rest.  (She also told me I was too young for skin cancer but I proved her wrong on that one so I didn't really trust her track record.)

So the postnasal drip persisted, like that cough clearing sound that a teacher makes to naughty children as a warning.  It flared up often while I was at the gym and moving about a lot, in the air conditioning.

When I stopped alcohol for a few days earlier, it magically stopped.  All of this time I was trying to combat dust mites (also a common source of it), lessening dairy (said to reduce mucous production) or assuming it was part of genetics and aging as it plagued my 90+ year old grandma consistently. 

Nope, based on it tying into the removal of alcohol from my diet earlier and now, it seems to be this:
http://www.enttx.com/general-medical/why-postnasal-drip-is-not-always-caused-by-postnasal-drip

So days 4 and 5 and I have not had one little cough, not one throat clearing, despite having a bit of cheese and warm weather in the UK to kick up the pollen and potentially my hay fever.

Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment